An ‘Islamist’ suspect has been arrested in connection with the pipe bomb attack on Borussia Dortmund’s team bus as authorities say they are treating it as a ‘terrorist attack’.
German police searched properties belonging to ‘two suspects from the Islamist spectrum’ on Wednesday and arrested a 25-year-old Iraqi man from Wuppertal – not far from Dortmund – meaning another man is still on the loose.
The explosive devices used in the attack contained metal pins, one of which was found buried in a headrest on the vehicle, according to Frauke Koehler, a spokeswoman for federal prosecutors.
Ms Koehler said it was lucky ‘that nothing worse happened’, adding that investigators are still working to determine how the devices were detonated and what substance was used.
The second suspect is a German, aged 28, from Froenderburg, near Unna, also in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
They have both reportedly been on the police and intelligence services radar for affiliation to ISIS while it has been claimed that one of them was seen in the vicinity of the crime scene shortly before the pipe shrapnel bombs were detonated.
Elsewhere police said three letters claiming responsibility for the attack have been found, all of them saying that it was carried out in the name of Islam. Another letter claiming to be from the far-left group Antifa had been discounted as a fraud.
At least one of the notes made reference to the Berlin Christmas market attack, in which an ISIS fanatic drove a stolen truck into shoppers, killing 12.